   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and Firewalls

Michael Brennan wrote:

> I think the impact of this last point is too great to expect everyone to
> drop what they are doing and retool overnight.
>
> I think a "cold turkey" approach like this is a lost cause, at this point.  I
> think you'd have better luck convincing the web service community to start
> thinking about REST and making incremental accommodations toward it, rather
> than thinking you are going to stop the current juggernaut in its tracks and
> get it to radically change course.

I think you misread my proposal. (maybe)

I'm asking people who are not interested in conforming to Web
architecture merely to change their end-point URIs from

http://www.foo.bar/myservice

http://www.foo.bar:987/myservice

We could make it even easier. We could define a SOAP URI that implied
the ":987" bit.

I really don't see how this is like trying to stop a train. Well,
actually I do: because SOAP is about firewall avoidance and even if we
could bring the developers around to our point of view the marketers
would never, ever, let anything slow the deployment of SOAP, including
firewalls.

 Paul Prescod