   Re: RE: [xml-dev] MS thinks HTTP Needs Replacing???

2/26/2002 12:49:57 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>That's a bit fast on the draw, Leigh.  Perhaps some review of
>that Herzog thesis is in order.
>
>http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/staff/herzog/thesis
>
>Are you sure REST doesn't fall apart in other models of hypermedia frameworks,
>or sure we need those frameworks?

Thanks for that link, it's definitely interesting.  I'd guess from reading the
about the Dexter framework that HTTP/REST  was a classic "disruptive
innovation".  A recent discussion is at http://www.inc.com/search/23854-
print.html:
"A disruptive innovation is a technologically simple innovation in the form of
a product, service, or business model that takes root in a tier of the market
that is unattractive to the established leaders in an industry. Very often this
occurs at the low end of a market -- that is how Toyota attacked General
Motors, for example. Or it takes root by providing a simple and inexpensive
product that enables a new population of customers to begin participating in a
new application in the market -- as was the case with personal computers"