   RE: [xml-dev] Evaluating RPC versus REST

2/26/2002 10:27:42 AM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>What are the efficiencies gained by tight coupling of
>enterprise (intra and extra) processes vs the loose
>couplings based on standard document types?

We won't know for a long time.  Recalling the Wired
article I mentioned in a precious post, the people standardizing
the Whitworth screw thread in 1824 couldn't know that their
decision would jeopardize the Empire in 1942.  Would a
"loosely coupled" truck design that didn't require
people in Detroit to have detailed knowledge of the
screw thread machines in Manchester have worked better?
Maybe, but then folks out in the desert might be throwing
away whole engines for the lack of a bolt ....

I just want to make sure that a decision to standardize on
the RPC paradigm today doesn't lose us a war with the
aliens in 2150, as all those threads waiting for a
response to an RPC invocation of a web service light-minutes
away lock up the command and control systems <grin>.