   RE: [xml-dev] MS thinks HTTP Needs Replacing???

  • To: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] MS thinks HTTP Needs Replacing???
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:42:17 -0800

> This works for small transactions asking for Web pages, but when Web
> services start running transactions that take some time to complete
over
> the protocol, the model fails. "If it takes three minutes for a
response,
> it is not really HTTP any more," Box said. The problem, said Box, is
that
> the intermediaries -- that is, the companies that own the routers and
> cables between the client and server -- will not allow single
> transactions that take this long."'

Well, keep in mind this is from the guy who gives speeches naked or in a
bathtub.  So, saying and doing outrageous and provocative things is
certainly nothing new for him.  He is fiercely independent-minded, which
is not really such a bad thing.

Anyway, at first blush, I would say Don is just admitting what Paul
Prescod has been saying all along: maybe some things are done best
*without* overloading HTTP further.  And be assured that no group at MS
that I am aware of is planning to kick HTTP out the door anytime soon.

For more sensational "personality" reporting, check out businessweek on
the semantic web:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/02_09/b3772108.htm

"Whatever else 1955 is remembered for, it boasts two notable birthdays.
That June, Timothy J. Berners-Lee popped into the world in London, and a
few months later, William H. Gates III opened his eyes in Seattle. Gates
went on to become the richest person on earth as head of Microsoft Corp.
(MSFT ) Tim Berners-Lee might be giving Gates a run for the money, but
he passed up his shot at fabulous wealth--intentionally--in 1990. That's
when he decided not to patent the technology used to create the most
important software innovation in the final decade of the 20th century:
the World Wide Web. Berners-Lee wanted to make the world a richer place,
not amass personal wealth. So he gave his brainchild to us all."