   Re: XML to object relational

I am not sure what you mean by mapping an XML document instead of
mapping a DTD (or other XML schema). For example, do you mean that I can
map the first A element in an XML document to table A1 and the second A
element to table A2? One way to do this would be to use XPointers in the
mapping information to identify individual elements and map these to
objects / the database. However, there doesn't seem to be much point in
doing this.

My guess is that your question is really how to map a document to the
database when the document doesn't have a DTD. Technically, no DTD is
necessary. At run time, the software just looks at the name of an
element/attribute, gets the mapping information, and transfers the data
to the correct table/column. No DTD is involved.

However, when you build the map, you essentially build a DTD. This is
because all elements of the same type are transferred the same way.
Thus, the map effectively defines the DTD. For example, if element A has
a child B in one place and a child C in another place, the map must map
both children.

Does this help?

-- Ron

--