   RE: [xml-dev] MS thinks HTTP Needs Replacing???

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 10:02, Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Surely what makes HTTP different from RPC is that HTTP is a
> networking protocol, RPC is a moniker which describes a style of
> network computing. Another way of saying this is that the HTT
> protocol is a linguistic abstraction for enabling and framing the
> distribution of hypertext. RPC identifies a pattern or style for
> distributed computing but is not itself a language for computing.
> Sorry to be a pedant, but RPC and HTTP are as apples to oranges.

If you compare them directly, yes.

If you ask whether HTTP is an implementation of RPC, a protocol built on
RPC, no.  I'm not talking about hypertext - I'm talking about the
foundations on which the HTTP protocol is itself built.  I find those
foundations to look suspiciously related to RPC, however loud the
denials of their fans.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!