   xml/XSL and javascript form issue

Hi All

I have an XML file that contains a javascript that works with the form that
is actually specified in the XSL style sheet.  The problem is that when I
try to use the document.forms[0]  or   this.form  in the javascript it does
not know about the form.  The variable I set

var  form1 = document.forms[0];

form1 is always null.

any ideas?

I have tried putting the form lines in the XSL file, but that does not work
either.

Thanks in advance
Dean-O