   RE: [xml-dev] Fwd: Linkage of GPLed GCC to Closed Source via XML or Perl

> From: James Michael DuPont [mailto:mdupont777@yahoo.com]

<snip/>

> XML-RPC and Soap are just two ways to invoke remotely.
> Currently I am using a patched version of the GNU C
> Compiler that streams the XML into a perl script via a
> PIPE using POPEN.
>
> This causes all types of problems with the GPL and I
> just wanted to bring that up here and see if you have
> anything to say.

I've been thinking for awhile that GPL's whole notion of "linking" is
archaic with modern software architectures. I don't see how it is really
tenable. LGPL seems only slightly better.

GPL with library exception seems reasonable, though. However, I'm no expert
with this, and it's not clear to me what substantive differences there are
between GPL with library exception and the Mozilla Public License (other
than the political manifesto that the former includes in its license).