   Re: [xml-dev] REST as RPC done right

On Friday 01 March 2002 02:45 pm, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:
> > So here's a question. If I *wanted* type safety what do I do? I'd
> > be most surprised if my dog (Japanese Chin FWIW) would respond to
> > POST, PUT, DELETE et al.
>
> http://www.prescod.net/rest/wrdl.html

You'll excuse me if I find this less than simple..... you're basically
writing a vtable in XML.... and a poorly typed one as you're
overloading methods.

> Can you really make the case that GET/PUT/POST/DELETE are more
> appropriate to hypermedia than, let's say, e-commerce? I've read the
> HTTP spec and I don't see anything hypermedia specific about it.

Except, of course, the *name*, which surely shows it's intent... and
while the effort in reductionism is fine (hey, I did it with 3 methods
and I bet I could do it with one...), as I've said, generality does
not equal general applicability and HTTP != REST.

I've heard Mike ask if this is all necessary for building scalable
systems, and the answer is obviously "no". Many of the larger systems
on the planet, such as ATM networks, SABRE, or largish EDI
infrastructures were built before all this, and do quite well.

> Plus, the W3C folks have always used a definition of hypermedia that
> meant: "all information, everywhere, hyperlinked."

In *your* history books anyway.... but I remember a WWW before images
and before CGI scripts.