   Re: [xml-dev] REST as RPC done right

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] REST as RPC done right
  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:45:07 -0500

http://www.prescod.net/rest/wrdl.html

> ... Point being that you're really tunelling one
> communication protocol over another *unless* the "generic" methods are
> actually meaningful to the resource/application.
>
> Note that Roy explicitly talks about REST for "distributed hypermedia"
> not for "distributed computing" in the general sense.

Can you really make the case that GET/PUT/POST/DELETE are more
appropriate to hypermedia than, let's say, e-commerce? I've read the
HTTP spec and I don't see anything hypermedia specific about it. Plus,
the W3C folks have always used a definition of hypermedia that meant:
"all information, everywhere, hyperlinked."

 Paul Prescod