   Re: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language

[Joe English]

> Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>
> > It would be interesting to learn what other kinds of non-xml SAX
generators
> > people have written.  Anyone care to say?
>
> I've written an nroff up-converter that works by
> passing SAX-like events to a tree builder.  It's
> not SAX (it's in Tcl, not Java), but the moral
> equivalent.

Well, you can do SAX in other languages besides Java.

I've also written a data parser using a SAX-like approach.  The data is
record-oriented - one record per line, containing data on signal strength
and spectral data about transmissions from polar weather satellites.  The
data files have sections of configurion, calibration, and data.  The data is
from five different transmit antennas, with two polarizations each.

I have the parser throw call-back events like a SAX parser.  It's been great
because I can write new handlers as I need to do different kinds of
analysis, without touching the parser.  Nothing to do with XML but inspired
by SAX.

Cheers,

Tom P