   RE: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language

  • To: "Niels Peter Strandberg" <nielspeter@npstrandberg.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XML should NOT be a new programming language
  • From: "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:44:55 -0800

> I want XML in Java! Why not like this:
>

> Stylesheet style = {
>
>          <XSL:STYLESHEET {
>                  [xmlns.xsl = "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";]
>                  [version = "1.0"]
>
>                  // Book
>                  <XSL:TEMPLATES {

I think this idea was big in the 80's, when people would say "I want SQL
in Pascal!"  Everyone rushed to provide SQL directly in the programming
languages.  "Embedded SQL" was the marketing buzzword.  But when people
got it, they realized they didn't really want it that bad.  There is
nothing wrong with innovation in languages, and maybe something like
this will be a good idea; but my first impulse is that I want this about
as much as I want pizza-flavored herbal tea.  Pizza and herbal tea are
both rather popular in certain circles, but I wouldn't invest in the
combination.