   Re: [xml-dev] Assumptions about URIs

Bent Rasmussen scripsit:

> - "Does the URI 'http://www.w3.org' identify an
>   organisation called W3C or a location on the Web?"

For informal purposes, it can refer to either, just as informally
I can be called either "John Cowan" or "mailto:cowan@ccil.org";.

For RDF/TM purposes, when it is necessary to make rigorous
distinctions, then there are two possible answers:

- A URI means what the owner of the authority-part (DNS name) says it
  means.  On this basis, "John Cowan" is a non-URI name of *me*,
  whereas "mailto:cowan@ccil.org"; is a URI name of *one of my
  mailboxes*.

- The meaning of a URI must be inferred from the statements made
  about it.  In this case we would have to look to what has been said.

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There