   Re: [xml-dev] Assumptions about URIs

>Bent Rasmussen scripsit:
>
> > - "Does the URI 'http://www.w3.org' identify an
> >   organisation called W3C or a location on the Web?"
>
>For informal purposes, it can refer to either, just as informally
>I can be called either "John Cowan" or "mailto:cowan@ccil.org";.

Alright, so let's move to formal:

>For RDF/TM purposes, when it is necessary to make rigorous
>distinctions, then there are two possible answers:
>
>- A URI means what the owner of the authority-part (DNS name) says it
>   means.  On this basis, "John Cowan" is a non-URI name of *me*,
>   whereas "mailto:cowan@ccil.org"; is a URI name of *one of my
>   mailboxes*.

So you're saying that the owner of "ccil.org" gets to choose what

    "mailto:cowan@ccil.org";

is? It could be a solar system if they preferred, because they're the
authority -- regardless of what mailto is intended for! In other words:
intent is irrelevant because it is has no substance in the knowledge
representation system; although it might have, i.e. there are statements
about what the type of resources identified in the TEL scheme is.

>- The meaning of a URI must be inferred from the statements made
>   about it.  In this case we would have to look to what has been said.

Alright, so we can use rdf:type to indicate the type but then what about the
context, the name space, should we get "used" to things like

    <http://example.com/bookx> <http://example.com/publisher> <tel:2...>
    <tel:2> rdf:type ex:Person

and just say that name spaces and their intended range is irrelevant? It may
work but still seems a bit nicer to align the inferred meaning of a resource
with the meaning allowed by the name space. But perhaps that's just extra
work that nobody needs.