   RE: [xml-dev] Assumptions about URIs

> > Don't addresses in the TEL name space *necessarily*
> identify phone numbers?
>

> No, I think they identify the Real World objects (mostly, but not
> exclusively, persons) which are reachable by dialing those phone
> numbers.

Wishful thinking.

Phone numbers identify phones, not people.

Not necessarily the same phone at different times, not necessarily a
one-to-one mapping, but when you make a phone call, a phone somewhere rings,
and the caller has no control over who might answer it. The phone number
gets you to the phone and no further. Saying "this is my phone number"
simply means "this is a phone number that might cause a phone near me to
ring".

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com