   Re: [xml-dev] XML faster than mySQL database ?

At 06:17 PM 3/6/2002 +0100, Marksman wrote:
>What is faster ?
>a XML bases database or a mySQL database ?
>i want to use it for the web. I think mySQL is
>faster, because its written excpecially for such
>this jobs. Its this true, or is XML faster (serverside parsing) ?

There is no one answer to that question; it depends on the data and
what you're trying to accomplish.  If using a database means you're
having to do complex joins on a very large dataset to produce
your information, or you're trying to do probabilistic retrieval on large
text corpora, database performance might suffer in comparison to
storing the data in XML and using a good information retrieval engine.
Any answer to which technology to use is going to have to be based
on an evaluation of how your information is produced, how it needs
to be structured for all the applications you're basing on it, and
the needs of your various users.

Jerome McDonough
Digital Library Development Team Leader
Elmer Bobst Library, New York University
70 Washington Square South, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10012
jerome.mcdonough@nyu.edu
(212) 998-2425