   RE: [xml-dev] XML faster than mySQL database ?

>That's interesting.  Why do you think this is the case?

Len, good points. Let me add more details and open up the discussion.

As you mentioned, most applications use this hybrid architecture with
back-end relational databases and front-end markup clients. Or in other
words, web applications are developed using n-tier architecture with
HTML/JSP/EJB/DB ( HTML/ASP/COM/DB in Microsoft world).

First and foremost, if I make a change anywhere in any layer (add a new
column to db, need to display additional field in the UI), the change needs
to be "propagated" all across the system in all layers. This makes the
maintenance of this applications labor-intensive.

The development process for typical web application roughly is -

1. Model the business using relational schema
2. Build a middle-layer (that contains business rules and server-side
validation logic)
2. JSP's/Servlet that contain the navigation logic and generate the
presentation

Now, if I were to model my business using XML Schema, I already have a much
richer representation compared to relational schema. I not only know the
detailed for each element, but also, the various facets (bounds -
min/maxInclusive, length - min/maxLength, precision, etc..). So we have
sufficient information to generate validation logic. Also, one can think of
tools for designers that use XMLSchemas in the backend for them to generate
the UI (XForms is moving in that direction).

Now, question arise where do we place the navigation logic and business
rules. This is where some innovation is required. XSLT does support
procedural constructs (eg., if, when, choose) and also, java code could be
invoked from  XSLT (using extensions). Regarding transactions, that's where
XML-enhanced rdb's and Native-XML DB's (NXDB) come into picture. If you put
everything together, you have the next-generation Application Server that
allows users to develop and deploy xml-based apps rapidly.

Like to hear from gurus on this list about this.

--Naren