   RE: [xml-dev] XML Pipeline (was: Stupid Question ...)

Although Ant is push-based whereas the pipeline proposal seems to be
pull-based. Ant starts with inputs and checks to see if any need to be
processed to update corresponding outputs (although you could write an Ant
task to do things in a pull-based fashion, if desired). The pipeline
proposal starts with a requested target, and checks to see if any inputs
need to be processed to provide an up-to-date view of the requested target.
It seems to me these two different approaches can have different areas of
applicability. The push approach of Ant seems well suited to generalized
build systems. The pull-based approach seems suited to the sort of
serve-on-demand approach that web apps take (although I wouldn't restrict
this to web apps).