   JAXP and Entity Resolver

Using JAXP 1.1.0

Could someone explain to me what determines if the EntityResolver gets used
or not?

<!DOCTYPE PDBMenus PUBLIC "http://www.pdb.com/pdb/DTD/PDBMenus.dtd";
"../../DTD/PDBMenus.dtd">
<!DOCTYPE PDBMenus SYSTEM "../../DTD/PDBMenus.dtd">
The resolveEntity method is NOT called

I get an exception and this is the message
Relative URI "../../DTD/PDBMenus.dtd"; can not be resolved without a
document URI.
What does that mean? what is a Document URI?
Why is my EntityResolver not being used in these cases?

This is the only way I can make JAXP use my resolver
<!DOCTYPE PDBMenus SYSTEM "http://www.pdb.com/pdb/DTD/PDBMenus.dtd";>
<!DOCTYPE PDBMenus SYSTEM "C:/pdb/DTD/PDBMenus.dtd">
The resolveEntity method is called
Seems like the System id must be absolute
Why is that? Why should jaxp care if it absolute or not?
How

Perhaps my problem is XML related not JAXP related
What is really expected from the DOCTYPE's public and system attributes?
Am I using them in the wrong way?

Perhaps these are dumb questions but I have a deadline and don't have time
to investigate this