   RE: [xml-dev] JSP or XSL?

This is an interesting question.  I worked on a similar project where we had
to make a similar choice between JSP/Servlet versus XSL.

Once you go over the learning curve of understanding the nuances of XSL,
writing stylesheet felt natural and "right" thing to do from a programming
perspective. It definitely was less number of lines of code.

I didn't run any benchmarks, but I would venture to say that XSL solution
will be better performing than JSP's. I guess, I have faith in several
optimizations build into transformers.(open to comments, otherwise).

While writing XSL, it almost reminded me of how I had to make choices
between whipping out 4 lines of perl code versus designing a set of java
classes to solve a problem. It was clear that perl code was more like "write
only" (it was faster to write a new perl script, then try to understand and
debug somebody's old script) and hence, java solution was the right thing
from software maintainability perspective.

However, in the case of XSL versus JSP/Servlet, its hard to argue one is
more maintainable than the other. I would say it depends on the skill levels
on the project. Having said that, debugging tools for java world are quite
mature compared to XSL.

As Mike suggested, would love to hear from more people who were in same boat
and the choices they made.

--Naren