   Re: [xml-dev] Java Technology and XML : API benchmark

> I still don't understand why validation is not performed in a SAX filter
> rather than in parsers. Parsers like Xerces have dramatically grown in
> and have performance problem due to the fact that validation is built in
> the parser.
> To me, parsing and validating are two different activities. They may have
> been integrated for performance reasons of the parsing+validation
> but I'd still like to have a clean, high performance parsing pipeline in
> which I could plugin any kind of validators (eg. Sun MSV).

In GNU JAXP they are-- within the Pipeline package there is a
ValidationConsumer. Currently this only supports DTD validation, but it is
cleanly layered so that it operates on a SAX stream of events and does not
deal with parsing. Because of this separation, though, there are many tests
/ VCs that cannot be reported because parsers may normalize input before
passing it through. For example, multiple DTD declarations might not be
reported-- additionally there are lexical errors that won't necessarily be

See the help for ValidationConsumer for more information:

Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting