   RE: [xml-dev] Java Technology and XML : API benchmark

At 03:20 PM 13/03/02 +0100, Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:
>I still don't understand why validation is not performed in a SAX filter
>rather than in parsers. Parsers like Xerces have dramatically grown in size
>and have performance problem due to the fact that validation is built in in
>the parser.

My parser Lark (the world's first XML parser, not worked on since
1998, sob) had an advantage because even though it was in Java it
had a preprocessor as a side-effect of the way it was built.  So
it had another incarnation named Larval which did DTD validation
but *none* of that code went into the nonvalidating version, which
stayed down under 50K class files IIRC.   Could've been smaller
too since it had code to build & traverse a simple DOM-like tree.
 -Tim