   RE: [xml-dev] Java Technology and XML : API benchmark

<snip/>

>Because of this separation, though, there
>are many tests
>/ VCs that cannot be reported because parsers may normalize
>input before
>passing it through. For example, multiple DTD declarations might not be
>reported-- additionally there are lexical errors that won't
>necessarily be
>caught.
>
>Cheers!
>Jeff Rafter
>Defined Systems
>http://www.defined.net
>XML Development and Developer Web Hosting

Interesting. Maybe there should be a distinction between lexical validation
and schema validation, the first being handled by the parser and the second
by a dedicated layer ? I'm OK with that because I don't care about the
serialized form most of the time, what interests me is the structure it
describes and its schema.

Or should we say that XML 1.0 is not properly layered, since it is not
possible to separate different concerns (parsing, validation, external
entities resolution, etc.) in independent code layers ?

Regards,
Nicolas