len

From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

>3/15/2002 5:01:49 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:
>
>>If we had to invent XML from scratch, would it
>>have mattered?  If HTML had been invented from
>>scratch, would it have succeeded?

Also, a factual/historical question -- Wasn't HTML more or less
"invented from scratch" and SGML used to legitimize it
post hoc?

That is, HTML arguably just latched on the
the "markup" meme, not  SGML in
all its glory.  Likewise, one could characterize the
core ideas in XML as "HTML with a more rigid and
easy-to-parse syntax, and with a flexible set of
tags."  Without SGML, something similar to HTML and
XML would probably have come along by now... maybe with
LISP-ish or troff-ish (shudder!) syntax. How violently
would people who were in the hypertext world of ten
years ago disagree?