   RE: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

X3D may be a good alternative if implemented and supported
well.  Blaxxun (a VRML97 company) has filed for 'insolvency'
in Germany.  The ParallelGraphics product, Cortona, is still
alive.   Some are suggesting that Adobe Atmosphere will now
be the preferred 3D product, proprietary format and all.

If you really need a robust API with multiuser and internet
in mind, and you prefer an XML format with DOM support, you
will want to support X3D.  It will be the ISO standard if
such things matter to you.  The liaisons with W3C have ensured
compatibility but, in my opinion, at a high cost to
getting the specification done on schedule.   Real-time
3D severely strains a lot commonly accepted MLisms with
regards to the common DOM.

Real-time 3D is an industry still struggling to get out
of the emergence phase.  If it all defaults to Adobe, I
expect the same games of proprietary open standards (yes
that is a real category) and patent encumbrances.

BTW:  VRML may not "matter" but it is the only 3D open
and unencumbered standard on the Internet, and is widely
used for interesting applications.   That did not matter
to companies like anartica.ca which chose to rely on
non-XML specifications for 3D.

len