   Re: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

Tim Bray wrote:

> 10. Several people have hurt feelings over my suggestion that SGML was
>      not successful.  Perhaps my opinion is influenced by having on
>      several occasions had to meet the payroll of a struggling SGML
>      company out of my own pocket.

No hurt feelings here - despite the fact that I defend SGML, I'm not really
sentimental about it. It just seems historically inaccurate to be told on
one hand that "nobody would bother switching because SGML and XML are so
similar" and on the other that "SGML doesn't matter and XML does". The two
statements seem at odds with each other.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr@allette.com.au
       - Einstein