   Re: [xml-dev] "Which Technologies Matter?" & xml processing model s...

> I didn't say it was best, just the most successful
> if we look at ubiquity, numbers of applications produced,
> ease of use, ease of mastery, simplicity and so on.

Ah, Len, but you responded too quickly.  I didn't say "best" either.  I too
was arguing that VB is nowhere near the most *successful* language.  C and SQL
are is more Ubiquitous than VB.  C, SQL and FORTRAN have produced far more
applications than has VB.

I don't see how ease of use, mastery and simplicity are ipso facto measures os
success, otherwise wouldn't logo be the most successful language in that
regard?  Actually, in that case, adventure game interfaces would probably be
most successful  ;-)

> All of these are perceptions but if we count money,
> a lot more people are making money programming with
> VB than C.

I *highly* doubt this.  I think you're forgetting the huge embedded systems
market, which is dominated by C and close to 100% commercial (on the large
scale).

> If one doesn't use MS products, nevermind.

Irrelevant to the question.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management