   Re: [xml-dev] manipulating whole XML documents as text

From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
> If I wanted to replace text that was partially in one element and
> partially in a sibling, there'd be a lot of juggling to do.  It may not
> be worth bothering, but it's worth considering.

In OmniMark you can do this kind of thing.

1) You can text process documents coming in, and change the
mode of the text processor based on the current state of the
(subsequent) parser.

2) You can defer generate text output until after an element has
been fully read in, and generate whatever equivalent output
is required.

OmniMark is rather like XSLT with Perl stuck on the front-end,
except you generate text (by default) not WF XML and the
XSLT and Perl can communicate.

Markup-aware text processing certainly has its place.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe