   Finding the target of a RDDL document

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Finding the target of a RDDL document
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:39:35 +0100

Sorry to ask such a trivial question, but if I read a RDDL document, how
can I find its target?

For instance, how can I tell that http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/ is
describing the http://www.rddl.org/ namespace?

This is pretty clear if I am an English speaking human user, but
shouldn't it made clear for programs as well?

I like RDDL a lot, but I am wondering if it's not misusing simple XLink
here since after http://www.rddl.org/ has been redirected to
http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/ , my understanding is that when I read:

<rddl:resource xlink:type="simple"
         xlink:title="RDDL Natures"
         xlink:role="http://www.rddl.org/";
         xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#directory";
         xlink:href="http://www.rddl.org/natures";

         A list of well-known natures may be found in the RDDL directory
         <a
href="http://www.rddl.org/natures";>http://www.rddl.org/natures</a>.</p>
</rddl:resource>

this is describing a link between the rddl:resource element of the
http://www.openhealth.org/RDDL/ XML document and the document
http://www.rddl.org/natures rather than a link between
http://www.rddl.org/ and http://www.rddl.org/natures.

We could workaround this by adding a new element (rddl:target for
instance) to indicate the target namespace but it would still be a nasty
hack IMO.

This seems like a useful thing to do anyway since the meaning of a RDDL
document shouldn't change just because I am using a local copy on my disk...

Or have I missed something?

Thanks

Eric
--