   RE: [xml-dev] do leading indicators matter?

Things built for or driven *mostly* by the
military, you *mostly* don't see or drive.
Unless it's a Humvee, of course.

CALS was a flop.  Requirements creep killed it
but a lot of the SGML industry made money there.
Next time you find yourself paying your team
out of your pocket, consider that their checks
don't bounce but they have a habit of either
cancelling programs that don't deliver, or
funding them forever.  Flip the coin.  One
problem with web tech and the military is
buggedness.  They often want to own the
codebase for obvious reasons.  Web services
may hit the same wall if something isn't
done about that problem.

ADA works for those who loved it and learned it,
but it is huge and a lot to learn.  Still, I know
people in the aircraft industry who swear by it.
Like SecDef Perry's infamous "No more standards" speech, top
down orders to adopt any technology across
the board application usually choke in the
waivers the PMs issue.  That was a dumb idea and
we knew it then.  Still, ADA lovers abound.  It
would be interesting to hear their input.

http://www.darpa.mil/

"The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is the
central research and development organization for the Department of Defense (DoD).
It manages and directs selected basic and applied research and development
projects for DoD, and pursues research and technology where risk and payoff
are both very high and where success may provide dramatic advances
for traditional military roles and missions."

They seem to think they're DoD.

We'll have to review the history of ARPANET.
It started out as command and control for DoD after a
nuclear blowout.  After that, it became a public research
project called "The Internet".  Still is.

len