   Using Xerces C++ Libraries

I have Visual Studio 5, I want to use the Xerces and Xalan Libraries for
simple parsing and validation, but I have no idea where to start. I am
familiar with C, but not C++, can I utilise one part of the library, how do
I link them in so that I can directly refer to the library's functions
rather than using the executables??

Thanks in advance,

Matt