   Re: [xml-dev] W3C XML Schema Test Collection

From: "Michael Brennan" <Michael_Brennan@Allegis.com>

> This is one area where Schematron shines.

Definitely.

> However, I will say that I think it would be great if we had some
> lightweight standards for specific annotations that could be used to support
> tools -- e.g. tooltip text, diagnostic messages for invalid constructs, and
> XLinks pointing to documentation.

The trouble with xs:documentation is that there are no conventions for
whether to put plain text or html in there.

This gives us a half-baked system that relies on tool makers to do the right
thing.  The right thing seems to be that schema systems should cope with
each of the following cases:
   i) xs:documentation is a form of html:p
   ii) xs:documentation is a form of xhtml:div
   iii) xs:documentation contains some proprietary elements

Personally, I think ii) is the best convention. But I see many schemas that
just stick in simple text comments.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe