   Re: [xml-dev] MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

From: "Michael Kay" <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>
> > We are having trouble encoding special characters less than
> > 32 (excluding 9, 10, and 13).
>
> That's because these characters aren't allowed in XML. Writing them as
> character references doesn't change that.
>
> And yes, you aren't the first person to find that a nuisance.

For people interested in why the C1 characters (80-9F) should be disallowed
in XML (i.e. XML 2.0) check out
 "A Rational Approach to XML Robustness Requirements"
  http://www.topologi.com/public/XML_Naming_Rules.html

This is an issue where robustness requirements meets head on
with the inclinations of the people who want to dumb XML down
into a language for serializing databases.

Cheers
Rick