   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Training

> I agree that most developer training is dreck. That stated, certain
> technologies lend themselves well to total immersion in order to get
> certain insights and dare I say it, zen. This is especially true for
> deeply layered technologies (e.g., COM, XML).  I doubt that folks who
> learned XML from me or my colleagues had problems coping with PSVI, the
> role of WSDL bindings vs. portTypes, etc. Those concepts + the overall zen
> are hard to capture in a book (God knows I tried ;-).

True enough.  I have booked myself into courses at times, only because it
would force me to spend the time immersed in the new technology, and would
guarantee that I had the time to do it justice.  The courses were usually not
nearly worth the money paid (re: the instructor, the materials, the curriculum,
etc.), but just spending the time concentrating on the subject mattere meant
that I got a lot of value from the "training", albeit in a rather roundabout way.

Andrzej Jan Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com