   RE: [xml-dev] Re: Training

I worked in developer education for eight years before I "retired" to a
small software company in the Pacific northwest.

I agree that most developer training is dreck. That stated, certain
technologies lend themselves well to total immersion in order to get
certain insights and dare I say it, zen. This is especially true for
deeply layered technologies (e.g., COM, XML).  I doubt that folks who
learned XML from me or my colleagues had problems coping with PSVI, the
role of WSDL bindings vs. portTypes, etc. Those concepts + the overall
zen are hard to capture in a book (God knows I tried ;-).

For more "vanilla" technologies (e.g., Java, C#, JDBC, ADO.NET, EJB), I
agree books can be more efficient than training.

DB