   Do Names Matter?

John Cowan wrote:
> BTW, it is RELAX NG, as if the "I" had dropped off the marquee.  The
letter
> still pronounced, though.  (Personally, I wanted it to be called "RELEX".)

It's probably time that someone pointed out that how unfortunate the name
RELAX NG is. I say this with regret, because I would consider this to be a
potential hindrance to broader acceptance, and XSD certainly needs the
competition. While this wasn't raised in the long thread about what makes a
successful technology, names do matter, IMO.

<tongue in="cheek">Consider the Mac, which is a clear exception to the 80/20
rule (being the product of a perfectionist design team), but still
mattered/matters in any number of tangible ways, doubtless due to its cool
name.</tongue>

The name "RELAX NG" is unwieldy and almost universally mispronounced by the
uninitiated. And in my purely subjective opinion, "RELAXING" isn't such a
hot name for a schema language even when spelled normally. Has anyone
seriously tried to influence this? Like many others, I'd love to see RELAX
NG succeed, and in all seriousness I do believe that names matter. Besides,
choosing a new name would be the perfect excuse to launch a big PR
campaign...

Matt