   XPath context reform?

[SNIP list of common user problems with XSLT]

> Some of these are pure learning issues. Arguably a different language design
> could have made these things easier (for example, a different approach to
> "context"); but it's too late to fix that now, and it just becomes one of
> the things that newcomers to any language have to learn. I think every
> language has a few hurdles of this sort.

Do you (or anyone else) have any particular thoughts on how context might have been better implemented?  I'm very interested, because in Versa [1][2], the RDF query language we've been working on, the idea of context heavily borrows from that in XPath.  But most Versa folks right now have some XSLT chops, so we might be thinking the XPath approach useful to follow because of the coloring of our experience.

[1]  http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/rdf/versa/versa-by-example.txt
[2]  http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/rdf/versa/versa.doc?xslt=/ftss/data/docbook_html1.xslt   [temporary location]

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management