   Lecture Theatre, Sailors Bar

In the 'Real World' thread, Mike Champion likened XML-DEV to
a sailors bar [1], on eclectic I suggested it's also like a
lecture theatre: a few experts on stage having heated discussions,
with a large crowd listening in. I also wondered what conversations
might be happening in the back room that aren't being word.

I thought this response [2] was interesting, and worth posting
to the list. While the 'brownian motion' continues, folk are out
there trying to find actual solutions to their immediate problems.

Here's a snippet:

"Ebooks are the living, breathing testbed of W3C technologies,
especially XML, applied to documents—and the W3C and xml-dev can’t
be bothered to look.

Everybody loses. The W3C misses some practical experiences, some
good ideas, and an eager market for their work. We miss out on guidance
we could use. And in the meantime, Adobe eats everybody’s lunch in
ebookspace, and let me tell you, *everybody* loses when that happens."

[1]. http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200203/msg00891.html
[2]. http://www.textartisan.com/caveatlector/archive/2002_03.html#e000047

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"