   RE: [xml-dev] namespace URI name conventions?

> Assuming that we don't want to hang them off the root directory (e.g.
> http://www.snee.com/foo) the two obvious choices are a directory name to
> identify namespaces as Simon did or a subdomain (e.g.
> http://mynamespaces.snee.com/foo or http://ns.snee.com/foo or whatever.)
>
> Has anyone seen any conventions repeated often enough to qualify as
> conventions?

Just to add to the confusion, I've used both in my own documents.

I tend to use the /ns/ directory name for my general vocabularies, but where
I'm defining namespaces for a particular application purpose -- e.g. for a
JSP taglib or XSP logicsheet, then I've used the subdomain approach,
e.g. taglibs.mydomain.com, mainly to more clearly signal this purpose
using a memorable URL pointing to a browsable site for their users.

I've not noticed any real conventions beyond this. Although adding version
indicators seems to be another common usage.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"