   RE: [xml-dev] Compiled XML

Nick,

> The form of
> compiled XML I was envisaging would have two main aims: 1) To decrease
> message size, and 2) To make messages easier to parse & read.
> I have come up with further ideas on this scheme, but I'd
> first like to know
> a couple of things: Has this been done before (And if so, can
> someone point
> me to it?), and is something like this a standard in the making?

this is done for caching purposes inside Cocoon2, see:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon
/components/sax/XMLByteStreamCompiler.java

and

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon
/components/sax/XMLByteStreamInterpreter.java

The ByteStreamCompiler and -Interpreter basically build a byte array
from 'recorded' SAX events, which can be replayed afterwards - see
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=97194999124269&w=2 for
a description of the format of that byte array.

Regards,

</Steven>