   RE: [xml-dev] MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

  • To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32
  • From: "Michael Rys" <mrys@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:13:52 -0800

To give you a non-MS area where occasional non XML characters may appear
inside strings: Look at the current ANSI/ISO proposals for serializing
relational data into XML. None of the database companies (Oracle, IBM,
Sybase, us etc) want to encode strings as base64.

To answer your question below: Assuming that we could at least allow to
use a char entity for an invalid XML char. That would already help.

Best regards
Michael

PS: Please cc me directly. Otherwise I will not see the answer until
several weeks later...

> OK, assuming the data type *can* be changed: what encoding would you
> suggest for encoding arbitrary Unicode data (where control characters
may
> appear, but only occasionally)?
>
> Surely not base64 (it's for byte streams, adds a lot of overhead and
makes
> your XML unreadable to humans).
>
> BTW: another side of this problem is DOM's current approach.
createText()