   Re: [xml-dev] RELAX NG Marketing (was RE: [xml-dev] Do Names Matter?)

> 1) I read Jame's comments
> (http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/design.html) on attribute
defaulting
> being a special case of a transformation that hasn't earned its privileged
> status in DTDs and XSD. I *really* like the approach of getting all the
junk
> (mostly DTD legacy stuff) out of the schema language. This is clearly the
> biggest strength of the XML approach in general (as compared to SGML,
HyTime
> and the like, which threw in not just the kitchen sink but the stove and
> refrigerator too), and to see it reflected in RELAX NG is very positive.
(I
> bring this up because I think that the need for attributing and the like
> would contradict Jame's assertion that validation can occur after and
> independently of SAX event generation.)

I don't see the contradiction.  It just means that the validation stage
would transform the SAX event stream.

> But... from a marketing perspective, I imagine that folks expect RELAX NG
> offer features that they have come to depend on in DTDs, if not the more
> arcane features of XSD.

Which is why we did RELAX NG DTD Compatibility

 http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/compatibility.html

which provides a standard annotation for doing attribute defaulting.

> To me this implies two things:
>
> a) A set of examples showing how to do attribute and element defaulting in
> different scenarios

I don't think it's important to support XSD-style element defaulting (which
says what happens not when you omit an element, but when you specify an
empty value for an element).

James