   RE: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML

Alain,

I'm a reformed idealist and proud of it. Like many, I'm sure, I've had
exactly this discussion countless times with countless idealists, and at the
end of the day you won't change people's basic philosophies. I can't resist
the temptation to make a few comments on this, however.

It's easy to stereotype capitalism and Dawkin's views on genes, but at the
end of the day we are forced to compete for scarce resources (food, sex
partners, handhelds with color screens, etc.), and this leads to an
inevitable conflict of interest among individuals. We ignore this basic fact
at our own peril. The only solution is to increase the basic pool of
resources at least to the point where everyone has access to the basic
minimum (implying that not everyone can have a cool handheld, sorry).

In terms of capitalism, it is true that "pure" capitalism doesn't work
because it jeopardizes the level playing field that the whole concept of
competition-leading-to-progress is premised upon. The good news is that the
combination of democracy and capitalism demonstrably works, we've solved a
lot of the problems inherent in naive approaches to capitalism and continue
to do so. The fact that there has never been a large-scale example of pure
communism doesn't mean that the approach is unproven. Many Bolsheviks surely
embarked on the communist experiment in good faith, but the system became
corrupted very quickly because of the reality of limited resources mentioned
above.

As far as Dawkin's is concerned, I don't think that he neglects the nurture
aspect of human behavior. He's just making a brilliant and vital point: that
in the absence of specific socializing influences, we will work to propagate
our genes, or more correctly, that our genes will work to propagate
themselves. There's an interesting article in the Economist this week
(http://www.economist.com/science/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1045223 -- like
a good reactionary I read reactionary rags) that points out that purely
selfish behavior based on this principle can lead to altruistic behavior on
the macro level. Good news for everyone, I say.

The bottom line is that we have made more political and economic progress in
the past century than in the millenium that preceded it, and this has led to
massively less disease and poverty for maybe a quarter of the world's
population. The only way to spread this benefit to the neglected three
quarters is to continue on the path of capitalism, democracy and free trade.

Anyway, I still regret the lack of whisky and a comfortable armchair, which
in my view are essential accoutrements to this type of discussion. I
sincerely hope that I'll have the chance to meet at least some of you in
person and philosophize on these points properly. May in Barcelona?

Cheers,
Matt