   Re: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML (was RELAX NG Marketing)

> If you can read French (which is guess is possible given your .be domain
> name), then you should have a look at this book :

French happens to be my mother tongue. Glad that it doesn't show too much in
my English prose - at least not to a French reader...

> http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2227139412/
>
> It's a pretty interesting criticism of socio-biology, Dawkin's selfish
gene
> and other related falacies, by two French experts in genetical
engineering.
> They precisely show that the "human nature" as we call it is not 100%
> genetical, but is for a good part determined by social contingencies. They
> conclude that there is no link between biological evolution, sociological
> evolution and Darwinism applied to economics, and that justifying the two
> latter by the former is simply meaningless.

Thanks for the link. Coincidentally, I have just started reading this book.
Axel Kahn's "Et l'homme dans tout ça ?" and J-C Guillebaud's "Le principe
d'humanité" are waiting next to it on my shelves for some attention span.

> France is currently in the campaign for presidential elections, taking
place
> at the end of April. Don't tell me about those ideas. Sigh.

Sure, that campaign is followed closely in Belgium, especially among the
french-speaking community. Surprisingly (ahem), "security" is the core
demagogue issue, and TV newscasts hardly speak of anything else nowadays as
that is allegedly what people what to hear about.

> French economics student and teachers have protested against the
> consequences of this "simplification" in 2000 :
>
> http://www.btinternet.com/~pae_news/texts/Fr-t-petition.htm

Very good, I hope it worked somehow. At least many excellent books are now
being published that go against the neoclassical orthodoxy.

> I'll stop posting on this thread now, but I would be happy to keep on
> discussing this in private.

You're welcome. We'll have to start our own HumanistML initiative so that
XML contributes to a better mankind rather that the other way around :-)

Idealistically,

Alain.
---
Alain Rogister