   RE: [xml-dev] namespace URI name conventions?

> From: DuCharme, Bob (LNG) [mailto:bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com]

<snip/>

> Has anyone ever noticed any common patterns in namespace URIs
> to show that a
> URI does represent a namespace? For example, Simon St.
> Laurent has namespace
> URIs following the format http://www.simonstl.com/ns/foo,
> http://www.simonstl.com/ns/bar, etc., and I asked him if there was any
> precedent for the /ns/ part, and he said no.
>
> Assuming that we don't want to hang them off the root directory (e.g.
> http://www.snee.com/foo) the two obvious choices are a
> directory name to
> identify namespaces as Simon did or a subdomain (e.g.
> http://mynamespaces.snee.com/foo or http://ns.snee.com/foo or
> whatever.)
>
> Has anyone seen any conventions repeated often enough to qualify as
> conventions?

I haven't noticed any prevailing conventions. However, I personally prefer
putting an "/ns/" part in there just to allow for putting actual content
(e.g. RDDL) at the end of the URI without having to worry about any
unforeseen contention with other content on the same web server. It seems a
relatively safe convention to reserve a "ns" directory on a web server for
namespace URIs. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation
between those who put an "/ns/" part in their namespace URIs, and those who
like to have actual content at the end of a namespace URI.

The practice of putting a date in the URI, as others have mentioned, seems
to be a wise best practice, but it does not seem to be a widespread practice
(AFAIK).