   RE: [xml-dev] Compiled XML

SQL Server 2000 uses a tokenized, binary XML format if it talks to an
OLEDB 2.6 or higher provider that then turns it into XML (in the stream
mode). So yes, binary XML formats do work and are being widely deployed.
They save space (although I agree that using compression on the wire is
normally better), they avoid to/from text serialization etc. Only
problem is that any standardized format will most likely not be useful
for most use cases since it will not cover the specific needs (it would
be a compromise and thus basically useless).

There are several papers at WWW9 and WWW10 on general XML compression
and ATT did some research on XMill. Also some tools basically use the
DOM API (some persistent DOMs), SAX event streams (push) or XMLReader
(pull) interfaces to avoid the serialized form.

Best regards
Michael

XML-

http://www.warhead.org.uk/