   Re: [xml-dev] Patent on XML and XSLT together?

On Friday 29 March 2002 02:53 pm, Didier PH Martin wrote:
> Gee. In this case it is obviously a waste of money from Sun to apply
> for a patent since several systems published since 1999 or 2000
> already do that.

AnswerBook2, which is at docs.sun.com, takes exactly the steps, in
claim 1, though not using XSL (DynaText stylesheets). It uses DynaWeb,
and has been used in *exactly* this manner since 1994. Every other
claim was also *demonstrated* in DynaWeb in 1994 or 1995. The use of
XSL was also developed and demonstrated in about 1998/1999 or so,
though it was a trivial variation of existing systems.

I have proof of this both in documentation that I wrote, code that I
wrote, documentation that was released, and PR material (presentations
etc.) that were released. In fact,  there is already a patent on this
kind of thing, though (mistakenly, ask Steve & Chris) my name is not
on one of them.

  US6055544 Generation of chunks of a long document for an
                      electronic book system
  US6167409  Computer system and method for customizing context
                      information sent with document fragments across
                      a computer network

Interesting that they don't site the prior art that exists *within
Sun*, and that was used before that at many places, including Novell.
If you broaden the notion of "request", even more prior art exists.

Sheesh. People should at least look at history before claiming it for
their own.

(This mail was brought to my attention. I do not read xml-dev).