   Re: [xml-dev] RELAX and Evolutionary somethingorother

From: "Matthew Gertner" <matthew.gertner@schemantix.com>

> XSD has so much in it because of normal mission creep;

A slightly different take is that XSD is so big because its requirements
document, innocently positioning it as a universal schema language,
forced it to be large because it was comprehensive.

At the time that the content model and typing decisions were first made,
RELAX did not exist. So if you are looking for the 80/20 decisions in
XSD, support for Murata's ideas (and my ideas for rule-based
validation) were the 20.

The problem is not just one of the particular decisions that were made in XSD:
it is always possible (and interesting and futile) to discuss particular decisions.
Just as important is the architectural failure to support modularity in XSD.

If the XML Schemas WG had started off by creating a modular environment (such
as I hope ISO DSDL may) then we would not have to worry about premature
standardization.

Who does large monolithic schema standards benefit?

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe