   RE: [xml-dev] RELAX and Evolutionary somethingorother

To clarify how this whole off-topic evolution thing got started (my fault,
sorry): it was actually a comment of mine on the supposed disloyalty of XML
folks towards the SGML crowd, basically stating that competition in the
technology space is a good thing for the same reasons that capitalism is a
good thing in the technology space. Of course, the result is that 99.9%
people on this list don't believe that capitalism is a good idea (hyperbole
intended), so the analogy didn't have the desired effect, to say the least.

I bowed out of the discussion based on the impression that my ideas,
although they *really* aren't particularly radical, are not widely shared,
at least on this list, and the scope for misinterpretation and
misrepresentation is simply too high. Just to say that this was not
originally related to RELAX NG in any way, shape or form, and I even took
the precaution of changing the subject line from "RELAX NG Marketing" to
make sure that this fact was not missed.

Anyway, I agree with most of your points. XSD has so much in it because of
normal mission creep; everyone has their own ideas and agenda, and I guess
there was a widespread fear that "we better get it into the spec now,
because it's taken three years to get this puppy out, and who knows when the
next revision will be." A perfectly normal, human reaction.

In terms of the future of RELAX NG, I also agree that there are a number of
plausible scenarios. At worst, some of its good ideas will end up folded
into some future version of XSD. For what it's worth, I don't see much of
the agenda of Redmond/Redwood Shores/Armonk in the actual spec. I believe
that if some momentum builds up behind RELAX NG, people will happily adopt
it. This will require creating some of the additional layers that XSD
provides (like inheritance, attribute/element defaulting, key/key ref,
appinfo, etc.) in some clean way. It was also require some basic marketing
efforts such as getting RELAX NG into the standard Xerces-J build, even if
the technical justification for this isn't entirely compelling.

Here's hoping...

Matt

-90.html) is the
classic explanation in the context of computer science.

I don't know whether RNG will "win", or XSD will be cleaned up and rebuilt
out
of more reliable components, or (most likely) the best features of both will
be
subsumed by some trancendent synthesis that we can't yet envision.  I simply

can't imagine RNG becoming irrelevant, however.  It seems worthy of study
and
support; even if what we use in 5 or 10 years is not called "RELAX", it will
owe
much to the efforts of Murata, Clark, et. al.