   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

Michael Brennan wrote:

> How many of them use ":" in names? I routinely use XML documents that don't
> use namespaces with standard XML tools that are namespace-aware. Does this
> really require a special mode of processing that does not understand
> namespaces? Will it really break real-world documents out there if any name
> with a ":" must comply with XML namespaces in XML 1.1?

No, I think you misunderstand me - I would never use ":" in a name as the
potential for problems is obvious. I'm happy for ":" to always indicate that a
namespace was being used (or to trick a DTD into validating anyway).

> I'm inclined to think that folding namespace support into the core XML spec
> for 1.1 will have very modest cost.

If an organisation needed to provide v1.1 data, they will likely need to
convert their DTD to a schema, as I doubt if v1.1 processors would support
DTDs. If their editing application doesn't support schemas, they might have to
retool their workforce.

> This seems to me the opportune time to
> do it. If not now, then when? Do some take the position that this should
> never happen?

I'm not saying that I have the answers. I really don't know what the best
approach is and I'm not saying that it shouldn't go ahead, but I think that we
need to make sure that we don't end up breaking exiting systems needlessly.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr@allette.com.au
       - Einstein